DevOps is a big field covering many topics with lots of products and services supporting it.
I've tried to put them in categories, but some of the tools could have been placed in more than one category as they try to provide a solution to several topics.
Version Control Systems - Source Control Management
Testing Tools and plugins
- Ansible - the Ansible series is an introduction
- PowerShell DSC
- Pivotal Tracker
- Changepoint (Daptiv)
- Version One
Customer Service Desk
Scheduling and Incident management
- BMC TrueSight Pulse (was Boundary)
- Data Dog
- Dynatrace (was Ruxit)
- Core Insight
- Alien Vault
- Alert Logic
- AWS Lambda
- Azure Functions
- Google Cloud functions
- Fission.IO serverless functions on Kubernetes
- IBM Cloud Functions
Virtualization - Containers
- Bash, the Unix/Linux shell is critical if you run Linux machines.
- Python is one of the most frequently used languages by DevOps enginners.
- Groovy is the language used by Jenkins.
- Ruby - there are a few tools written in Ruby and you might need to understand the syntax a bit, but fell out of favor.
- Perl - used to be the favorite language for System Administrators, but it much less popular these days.
- Terraform - Write, Plan, and Create Infrastructure as Code
- Packer - Build Automated Machine Images
- Consul - Service Mesh Made Easy
Inspired by the DevOps Ecosystem by Erik Rogneby.
More from 7 CI/CD tools for sysadmins by Dan Barker
Published on 2018-02-11